Managed Security Services
Managed security service providers are increasingly providing integrated security solutions that are designed to address an increasing threat landscape. By using new solutions that support monitoring, detection and response, these managed security solutions are designed to respond quickly to advanced security attacks.
Businesses of all sizes are thinking out of the box these days about how to solve the evolving security problem. There are three important reasons.
1. Security Attacks are Growing, Fast Morphing and Longer Lasting
Security attacks are increasing every year. More and more of them are targeting small and mid-size companies including CEOs. Attacks are devastating like CEO fraud, credential theft with financial online account access and ransomware. Many attacks once in your system are there for months before they are detected. The most recent attack methods and surfaces include:
- Email Initiated Attacks
- Phishing & Spear Phishing attacks
- Email Spoofing/CEO Fraud
- Malicious attachments
- Supply chain attacks
- Advanced Malware
- Ransomware/Zero day & self-propagating worms
- File-less malware
- Stolen Credentials
- New Cloud Threats
- Hybrid/Public cloud infrastructures
- Cloud applications & data storage
- Multi-stage prolonged attacks (APTs)
- IoT attacks
- Email Initiated Attacks
2. Companies are Having a Tough Time Keeping Up
- The Rate that companies detect and respond to attacks is too slow
- They need to maintain “appropriate security”, companies must analyze new solutions, define changes and upgrade to new solutions. New threats require solutions that work together and provide prevention, detection, response and forensics.
- Cyber skills requirements are rising at a rapid rate
- Regulation Compliance: The need to be compliant with multiple WW regulations is rising
- Other corporate priorities exist that take away from managing security
3. Companies Need Large Full Time Staffs to Manage, Detect & Respond to Attacks
- Qualified security personnel are hard to find, and the number required exceeds budgets.
- According to ESG research, 82% of cybersecurity professionals agree that improving threat detection and response (i.e. mean-time to detect (MTTD), mean-time to respond (MTTR), etc.) is a high priority at their organization.
- 77% of cybersecurity professionals surveyed by ESG say business managers are pressuring the cybersecurity team to improve threat detection and response.
- Threat detection and response is not easy. Cybersecurity professionals point to issues such as an upsurge in the volume and sophistication of threats, an increasing cybersecurity workload, and a growing attack surface.
Outsourcing Can Provide Expertise, Resources and Advanced Managed Security Solutions
Expert security partners that provide risk assessments, who work with leading security product providers and who provide managed security services can lighten you load. They have the benefit of being immersed in security every day. Plus, by providing security risk assessments, they see where companies have gaps in their security. Working with many security product vendors enables them to understand who is best in class and what can work well together.
By managing security on a daily basis, they can master these devices and provide expert results. The right partner can provide:
- Integrated security solutions that provide Managed Detection & Response (MDR)
- Larger trained staff that is familiar with the latest security solutions
- Ongoing monitoring, detection and informed response (remediation) recommendations
What Managed Security Services Can be Outsourced?
Managed security services providers can provide a variety of managed solutions such as:
- Web Application Firewalls
- Multi-factor Authentication
- Backup and Disaster Recovery
- Security Training & Phishing Testing
- Cloud Application Security
- Endpoint Protection, Detection & Response (EDR)
- Managed Detection and Response
- Management of multiple security products to provide an integrated security system that monitors key security and IT systems and provides advanced detection and response. Normally the minimal combination of products includes SIEM, firewall, EDR and your corporate servers to provide an integrated monitored security environment.
- Security Risk Assessments (Annual, Quarterly, Monthly, Daily)
- Security Testing (Vulnerability & Penetration testing, WiFi Testing…)
Let us know if we can help you with your risk assessments, product and managed security.